This year’s E Week closing ceremony on February 12 saw a special guest in attendance – Dr. Romesh Wadhwani, billionaire entrepreneur and Founder and Chairman of the Symphony Technology Group and Wadhwani Foundation. He is best known for the largest sale in software history; he sold his third company to i2 Technologies for a whopping $10 billion in 2000. At the E Week ceremony, Dr. Wadhwani came up with an interesting list of 10 things that an entrepreneur gets to do:
10. You get to scare your parents – by not taking up that secure job.
9. You can save money by not buying a bed – there’s no time to sleep anyway.
8. Feel the passion – if you don’t, no one else will.
7. Celebrate your team. Every single day.
6. Learn to beg! Venture capital is hard to get. Prepare to crawl to the VCs desk, if needed.
5. Set low expectations for your in-laws.
4. Learn humility – otherwise, your customers will teach it to you. If your customers don’t, your employees certainly will.
3. You get to be your own boss. All your decisions will be yours alone.
2. Hit the jackpot! Sometimes you’ll hit a small one and make some money. Sometimes you get lucky and make plenty. But if you don’t try, you will never hit it at all.
1. You get to live your dream!